Strawberry rhubarb pie
There is something about strawberry rhubarb pie that screams summer to me. This pie was always a favorite of my fathers so it brings wonderful memories with it. It's light and fresh and oh so easy to make!
What you'll need:
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb ( I used the Dole frozen rhubarb bags. Allow to thaw before using)
- 2 and 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 a lemon's zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (eggwash)
- The crust: You can prepare your own pie crust or a great option is to check out the Betty Crocker pie crust mix. It makes dough enough for two crusts.
- Stir the rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, orange juice, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl. Set filling aside as the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Roll out the pie dough: Make sure you're working on a floured surface. Roll out your dough to create a crust large enough for9x2 inch pie dish. Bake your bottom crust for 8-10 minutes until golden brown (remember to reserve the rest of your dough for a lattice topper)
- Create your filling. Add rhubarb, strawberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Once your bottom crust has cooled spoon the filling into the crust, leaving all of the excess liquid in the bowl (you don't want that in the filling-- discard it). Dot the pieces of butter on top of the filling.
- Arrange the lattice: Roll the dough into a circle that is 12 inches diameter. Using a sharp knife cut strips 1/2 - 1 inch wide. Don't worry if your strips don't all match up perfectly. I personally love the imperfect homemade look. Carefully thread the strips over and under one another, pulling back strips as necessary to weave. Trim off any excess dough hanging over your pie plate.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash mixture.
- Place the pie onto the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!!